Narcan Training at St. Christopher’s Inn
In 2017 more than 72,000 people in the United States, nearly 200 a day, died of drug overdoses. This death toll is higher than the US military casualties in Vietnam and Iraq wars combined. One approach to helping prevent deaths from opioid overdose is the use of the opioid overdose antidote, Naloxone (brand name Narcan).
Narcan, which is the brand name for the drug, Naloxone, blocks the opioid receptors in the brain, and can reverse the effects of an opioid overdose. It has been available for almost 50 years as an antidote but has taken on an increased role in saving lives as the opioid epidemic has continued to grow. The American Medical Association endorses the training of lay people in the use of Narcan to prevent overdoses. Every state has enacted laws to increase naloxone availability and partnered with various providers to make Narcan kits/training available to community members.
Each month, St. Christopher’s Inn provides free training to the local community on how to administer Narcan in the event of an opioid overdose. In addition, each person trained and certified at St. Christopher’s Inn will receive an emergency Narcan kit at no charge.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, “in person” Narcan Training has been temporarily suspended.
However, we are now offering Virtual Narcan Training on-line via a free Zoom meeting.
Following participation in the free 30 minute on-line training, the “Narcan kit” with instructions, two doses of the medicine and your personal certification card will be sent to you at no charge via the USPS.
Thursday, October 15 4pm EST
Thursday, November 19 4pm EST
Tuesday, December 8 4pm EST
- Tell us which day you would like to attend the virtual training. (Each session will be limited to 25 participants.)
- Include your full name for your certification card.
- Include your address so we can mail you your kit following the training.
- We will send you a return email with a link to join the training via Zoom.
- On the day of the training, join us via the camera in your laptop, pc, tablet or phone by clicking on the Zoom link in the email.
- Training will last approximately 30 minutes, allowing time for questions and answers.
- Kits and certification cards will be sent out immediately following the training via the US Postal Service.
If you would like to arrange for a special training for a group of people at a different time, please contact us at NarcanTraining@AtonementFriars.org to discuss arrangements.